I wrote this for a client today and thought it would be valuable for you.
The do’s and don’ts of social media, according to Gini Dietrich.
* Target your market to follow the right people.
* Offer actionable advice.
* Use your time wisely.
* Have an offer and call to action.
* Define your goals.
* Track results.
* Be respectful.
* Submit original content.
* Participate actively.
* Be open-minded about other points of view.
* Be honest.
* Be authentic.
* Be transparent.
* Be human.
* Be consistent.
* Use pictures, videos, and music.
* Scratch other people’s backs.
* Build a community.
* Be too sales-y.
* Be too anxious.
* Be afraid to offer information, knowledge, and wisdom.
* Be self-serving.
* Post news releases.
* Shy away from connecting and engaging.
* Get your feelings hurt when people unfollow you.
* Stalk people.
* Accept friend requests from people you don’t know or barely know.
* Be negative.
* Engage in dubious behavior.
* Try to maintain more than one profile for your brand (either personal or company).
What advice do you give when talking about the social media do’s and don’ts?