Today, our special Fireside Chat guest is my friend and writer extraordinaire, Ann Handley.
For any of you who don’t know Ann, she is the chief content officer of MarketingProfs; a LinkedIn Influencer; a keynote speaker, and mom to both humans and an adorable King Charles cocker spaniel (Abby a.k.a. Abbading), who has the best adventures on Instagram.
In her keynote presentations and her best-selling book Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content, Ann specializes in teaching people how to realize their writing potential.
Talking Slow Marketing with Ann Handley
Here’s the outline we started with for our conversation:
- Folks who follow you on Instagram are likely to have seen photos of your tiny house, in your backyard. Can you share a little bit about why you built it and its purpose in your writing life?
- I don’t have a tiny house to escape to, but I do block off time on my calendar each week for deep work—time to really focus without distractions on the things I want to accomplish. Do you feel it’s important for a writer, in particular, to have a routine and a place for deep work?
- Because not everyone has been lucky enough to hear you share your slow marketing manifesto in person, could you share its key points with our audience?
- How can communicators take the first step towards taking a slow marketing approach to their work?
But She’s Not Just About Slow Marketing!
Ann is one of those people who you can’t help but love.
She is an incredible human being with a great sense of humor.
My favorite parts of the conversation were:
- The 280-degree tour she gives you of her tiny house.
- Her philosophy of how to build your space around your by time.
- What she thinks about being an early adopter…and our ensuing conversation on why it can be smart to take some time and be strategic.
- Her Gusto website chat story.
- The books that changed her life (and mine!).
Enjoy the conversation!
(If you can’t view the video below, click here and you’ll go straight to YouTube.)