This week has been a crazy. Let’s just say I’m calling this week #meetingweekoctober2013 because that’s the kind of week it’s been!
My schedule looked a little like this:
Monday I (finally) met Amanda Gnat of Orbit Media Studios. I’ve been chatting with Amanda since I started working with Arment Dietrich, so it was great to finally meet her in person.
Tuesday was my usual day of client and team meetings. Meetings make the day go by too fast, but I always feel unproductive because, well I am. I’m on the phone most of the day!
Wednesday we had a pre-event for Content Jam and I had drinks with a bunch of people…too many to name! It was fun and, of course, a little rowdy, but I expect nothing less.
Yesterday was Content Jam. And let me tell you, it was great! I was a volunteer at the event and also got to see some of the presentations.
I have to say, Gini’s keynote was the best. Literally. (She told me to write that.) All kidding aside, I really enjoy Gini’s presentations.
She dropped some knowledge on four things to be thinking about for your communications plans in 2014 and beyond.
My favorite part of her presentation was when she talked about brand journalism and employee stories. Maybe its because the journalist in me, but as humans, we’re wired for stories. Emotions drive people even for non-emotional products like toothpaste or sharpies.
People do business with people and there’s a huge opportunity for brands to not only tell their story, but their customer’s and employee’s too. Brands already doing this really well are Lego, Open Forum, Mail Chimp, REI, and HSBC Global Connections.
What I came away with from the entire event was relationships are key and sometimes you need to go back to the basics of storytelling, but more on that later.
The introvert in me is exhausted and will be spending the next few days curled up, reading a book and recharging! So I’ll leave you with this week’s videos courtesy of Susan Cellura, Ken Mueller, Rosemary O’Neil, and yours truly.
5. Highway Sing Along. I hate being stuck in traffic – it’s terrible. Even more so if you just want to get somewhere. But this guy – not only is he pretty easy on the eyes, he’ll put you in a good mood with a little bit of song.
4. What You REALLY Think About During Yoga. Lunch, emails, birthdays…pretty much everything you shouldn’t be thinking about during class. And the most important??? Do. Not. Fart!!
3. Potty Talk. This kid eats pretty much anything and everything…from pickle chips to poutine to chocolate thingies. Let’s just hope he doesn’t overflow the toilet!
2. Jimmy Fallon, Miley, and the Roots Sing “We Can’t Stop”. I can’t have a Gin and Topics without Jimmy Fallon!! I’m not a Miley fan, but I do love when Jimmy (yes we’re on a first name basis) creates these a capella versions of songs. My favorite thing about this video? Questlove’s facial expression when Miley says something scandalous.
1. Do the Mumford & Sons Members Look Different? Mumford & Sons recruited some comedians (ahem Jason Sudeikis and Jason Batemen among others) to impersonate them and make fun of what you’ve come to expect from their videos. There’s crying, guitar, and drum smashing, and well, just watch through the end. I promise you won’t be disappointed.