Before I give you Gin and Topics, I want to talk to you about my friend Jennifer Stauss Windrum.
At least a year ago (if not longer), she began her quest to build a non-profit to support lung cancer research.
You see, her mom – who has never smoked a day in her life – has lung cancer and to say it’s been an eye-opening experience for Jennifer and her family is putting it mildly.
She created “SMAC! Sock Monkeys Against Cancer,” a gang of philanthropic monkeys who provide tangible love and support to those battling cancer.
SMAC! was inspired by her mom’s journey and what it has been like to have her 1,200 miles away, making it impossible for her to be with her at doctor’s appointments, during chemo, and even just sitting at her bedside while she slept.
She created SMAC! to give her mom a “buddy” to have with her at all of those appointments.
Yesterday, Jennifer launched the first two monkeys:
Her ultimate goal is to create a custom monkey for each type of cancer. Her ultimate dream is anyone diagnosed with cancer gets a SMAC! monkey from their hospital.
You can help by donating money to help launch the SMAC! monkey product line. Her goal is $35,000 so every little bit will help.
After you visit the crowdfunding site, come back here for a little Gin and Topics.
5. Hedgehogs vs. Politicians. I don’t know about you, but I cannot wait for Tuesday to be over with. In honor of the election, check out the difference between hedgehogs and politicians, including hedgehogs love cupcakes and politicians will eat anything handed to them, if it means it will ingratiate them with the public.
4. Halloween Light Show. I realize Halloween is over, but this is freaking awesome. Seriously, how do people do this? Is it real or computer-generated? If it’s real, some people have waaaaaaay too much time on their hands. And I kind of wish they lived next door.
3. The Power of Quiet. I really, really love RSA animation. It’s where a story is narrated and a really talented person draws pictures to match the voice. I also am a big fan of the work Susan Cain is doing around the power of introverts (yay us!). Combine the two and this is the video you get. It’s super, duper cool.
2. Eating Cheek to Cheek. As a vegetarian, this should probably offend me, but it’s kind of awesome. The Sweet Stem Farm wants you to eat animals “cheek to cheek” instead of just the center cuts. And what they produced is a really good video with someone who can actually sing.
1. Dog in Pumpkin. This one still works because pumpkin is in season through Thanksgiving! And who doesn’t love puppies? Be sure to watch all the way to end for the cutest puppy of them all.