This is my small one’s first snow day and I’m as excited as she is.
Mother Nature does love me. She’s dumping a foot of snow on Chicago for my birthday. YAY!!
If anyone wants to come over, we’re going sledding later. Come hang out!
In the meantime, let’s talk about the Super Bowl.
Well, not the game itself (go, Eagles!), but the commercials.
I found it fascinating that so many companies opted with the service message versus the features and benefits message we’re accustomed to seeing.
They truly are working hard to attract Millennials.
(Even though Millennials are on their phones during commercial breaks—if they’re watching at all. They’ll most likely see the ads on YouTube later—or on wrap-up blogs like this one. Which raises the question: is the $5MM Super Bowl ad going to go away?)
A priest, rabbi, imam, and Buddhist monk walk into a football game…and it’s not the start of a joke.
The four religious figures leave their respective houses of worship in a Toyota Tundra to arrive at a football game together only to be chastised by a couple of nuns for running late.
Talk about a strong message of unity!
I was floored—and my heart swelled.
Let’s take a look at the other Super Bowl winners.
A Special Super Bowl Edition of Gin and Topics
While I have my favorites (the one in the number one spot is by far my favorite), I asked the Spin Sucks community what they thought.
Here is what they said.
5. They’re All Tide Ads. It is somewhat irrefutable now—every ad is a Tide ad.
4. The Human M&M. The casting on this is brilliant. I think we can all agree there is no better M&M than Danny Devito. “Do you want to eat me? Do you want to eat me? No one wants to eat me!”
3. Tourism Australia Dundee. Before the Super Bowl, a “new” Crocodile Dundee movie trailer was released—and the internet went insane. How dare they remake Crocodile Dundee? The big reveal was during the Super Bowl—and it was just an ad to visit Australia. I mean, not “just” an ad—it’s great. But everyone can simmer down. They’re not remaking the classic movie. (Plus anything with Chris Hemsworth in it is worth watching. Over and over and over again.)
2. Alexa Loses Her Voice. Oh, no! Poor Alexa got a cold and lost her voice. Never fear! Amazon found some great replacements, even though they go off script a bit. “Pathetic! You’re 32 years of age. You don’t know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich? Its name is the recipe, you ****.” There is even a cameo from Jeff Bezos, himself.
1. Touchdown Celebrations to Come. I will seriously watch this one every time it pops up. Eli Manning and Odell Beckham reenact the famous Dirty Dancing dance and it is pure perfection. Everything from Manning’s white boy overbite to Beckham running at him from down the field. H-I-larious!
Julia Carcamo also did a recap that includes some honorable mentions and complete fails.
Contribute to Gin and Topics
Have a great video to contribute to Gin and Topics?
Send it to us!
The best place to send it is in our Slack community, but you can also email, text, private message, or carrier pigeon it to us.
Have a great Gini Appreciation Day tomorrow!
(I had the flu so bad last year that we had to postpone my birthday until this year. So I’m making up for it! Does that mean I’m also a year younger than my birth certificate says?)