I cannot tell you how happy I am that today is here. I’ve had a month of travel that nearly made me fold myself into the fetal position and cry like a baby. But I made it and am very much looking forward to a short week next week.
It’s my favorite time of the year! I get to cook and put up my tree and decorate my house and read and write and run (too cold to ride) and sleep in and stay in my running clothes all day if I want. Yay for the holidays!
Oh. I’m sorry for those of you who don’t have Thanksgiving next week. The darn Canadians celebrate it way too early. I’ll be sure and make something a little extra for those of you who are working next week.
In the meantime, have a little Gin and Topics.
5. Ducks Blown Off Feet. Let’s start out with the cuteness factor. Thanks to Ken Mueller for sending me this video of baby ducks being blown off their feet by the wind. It’s a true testament to a mother’s love.
4. Craziest Deposition Ever. I don’t know if anything I can say will do this justice. My friend Deb Dobson sent me this link and, well, you just have to read it for yourself. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
3. Small Business Social Media Study. This is an interesting study. It shows that, even though 88 percent of small business owners understand social media can affect the growth of their companies, and even have a social presence, 67 percent won’t invest in it in 2012.
2. Microsoft Socl. Well, here’s something new. Microsoft is “quietly” creating a social network to compete with Google+ and Facebook. Is Apple going to have a social network, too? This might be too much. Admittedly they do claim it’s a research project and may never be released publicly, but it’ll be interesting to see if they’re just saying that to stave off the dogs.
1. Diaspora Co-Founder Passes Away. And, not to end on a sad note, but I’m ending on a sad note. The co-founder of Diaspora, the social network that promises to protect your privacy, committed suicide this past weekend. Typically this isn’t something I’d include here, but I think it’s important for all of us to think about the online friends we have and the kinds of perceptions we have about them. Add to that the extra pressure VC-backed business owners are facing and we really need to keep an eye on our friends and not take things at face value. Go tell someone you love them. Right now!
There will not be a Gin and Topics next Friday…we’re taking the holiday weekend off. So, for my friends in the States, have a very happy Thanksgiving. Please don’t hurt yourselves shopping on Black Friday. I’ll be snuggled on my couch reading.