Welcome to another episode of the Spin Sucks Fireside Chat.
Today I have a super fun guest for you to get to know.
Many of you know her online, but have never had the chance to hear her voice (unless you watch her crazy Instagram stories) or seen her live.
I am here to change that for you.
Who is Laura Petrolino?
Laura Petrolino is the chief client officer for Arment Dietrich and she’s a staple among the Spin Sucks community.
She is not only one of my most trusted colleagues, she’s become one of my closest friends.
We’re a lot, a lot alike and have often been accused of sharing a brain.
Which actually may be true.
A couple of years ago, I was at the grocery store after work, standing in line to check out. I checked my email while I waited and there was one from a client of ours stating that she’d gone to her CEO and up-sold him on more of our services—stuff we’d never talked to her about taking on for them, let alone about budget or anything of that ilk.
I muttered, “What the heck” to myself and dialed Laura.
She answered the phone with, “I have no idea why she sent that email, either.”
I am very excited that you get to spend a little time with her today. She’s the yin to my yang. The sugar in my coffee. The rays to my sunshine.
Ladies and gents… Laura Petrolino.
The Fireside Chat: How to Make Time for Your Priorities
- When my husband’s business was ready to hire an agency, I wouldn’t let him consider anyone other than Arment Dietrich. The deal we made, though, is I would try to stay out of it and let my team work with his team without my oversight, er interruption. The other day, he was getting ready to go play basketball (he plays at 5:45 a.m.) and I was writing my blog post for the day. Even though he knows not to speak to me that early in the morning, he said, “Why is Laura working so early?” And then he answered his own question (probably because I glared at him for speaking to me that early in the morning) with, “Oh, right. Because she works with you.”
The truth of the matter is, I don’t require everyone work at the crack of dawn, but you like to do it. Tell us why.
- Beyond working with our clients at Arment Dietrich and helping to serve the Spin Sucks community, you are a bodybuilder. That is not a small (no pun intended) undertaking and we’ve already established that I make you work 24/7. How do you fit it in?
- I’m pretty rigid with my schedule—and I protect my deep work time as if it’s what is keeping me alive. Other than the biggest difference between us being introvert versus extrovert, how do you get deep work done when you have days and days and day full of meetings?
- We joke a lot that we should publish our text conversations. What are some of our funniest discussions (that are safe for work, of course)?
- The speed round.
- What are you excited about for the future of Spin Sucks?
My Favorite Parts of the Conversation
There were a few times during the conversation that I thought I was going to lose it.
So you’ll get to experience watching the two of us try to hold it together for professional reasons.
I also really loved the following:
- The conversation we had about reading A Little Life together
- The carrier pigeon job description she created and I subsequently posted on my personal Facebook wall
- Why trust is eroding—and what we can do about it
- Her responses when I asked her favorite blog, her favorite podcast, and her favorite boss
- And her favorite podcasts (TED Radio Hour and Hidden Brain)
Without Further Ado…The Fireside Chat
Enjoy the conversation…and let us know what you think!
(If you can’t view the video below, click here and you’ll be magically transported to YouTube to watch it.)
Next Month’s Fireside Chat
Next month, I get to host Garrett Moon, the co-founder of CoSchedule.
He has a new book coming out—10x Marketing Formula—and I’m excited to get to talk with him about it and chat about content marketing, in general.
If you’re a CoSchedule fan or have just read Garrett’s articles here on Spin Sucks, you know this is one not to be missed.
Stay tuned for that at 1:00 p.m. EST on April 6.