Coupled with what happened to Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge and Philando Castile in Minneapolis earlier this week—and the fact that I still haven’t gotten over Orlando—it’s difficult to know what to say.
It’s incredibly difficult to understand how we live in a country where this happens.
There is no reason, on earth, police officers should be killing anyone, let alone those who are not resisting arrest or those who are simply reaching for their driver’s license in their back pocket.
There is no reason, on earth, a man can buy an assault weapon and, two days later, walk into a nightclub and murder so many people.
There is no reason, on earth, civilians should have sniper rifles so they can murder police officers during a peaceful protest.
No one can say what needs be said better than Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate.
In fact, violence merely increases hate.
So it goes.
Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: Only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: Only love can do that.
I’ve gone back and forth in my brain about whether or not to include videos in this week’s Gin and Topics.
As much as I want to keep everyone home and not let them out of my sight, I know that’s giving in to the hate and the violence.
So I have decided to go ahead and give you five funny videos, if only to let light and love back in to a horrible week.
5. Giant Pandas Create Trouble. If this isn’t the cutest thing you’ll see all day, I don’t know what can beat it. A zookeeper is trying to clean a panda’s living area, but they want to play instead. Everything from jumping in baskets to doing gymnastics.
4. Young Fan Very Upset About Kevin Durant. I know many, many people who are upset by Durant’s decision earlier this week to leave the Thunder for the Warriors. This little boy says what I imagine most are thinking.
— Terry Rimmer (@T_Rimm) July 4, 2016
3. Dwayne Johnson Eats Candy for the First Time Since 1989. The Rock is a big fan of “cheat days,” but not of candy. But leave it to Jimmy Fallon to get him to eat Rock Candy on television.
2. Epic Maid of Honor Speech. This is the best toast I have ever seen! A brother, sister, and cousin of the bride decide to “slow jam” the maid of honor speech. It truly is epic.
1. The Baby Bachelorette, Episode 3. I hate to admit how much I love this series. It’s so bad, but so good!
Have a great weekend!