On the seventh day of Christmas, Spin Sucks gave to you…seven PR blogs, six must-watch PR webinars, five PR books, four PR podcasts, three productivity tools, two Spin Sucks Crazy secrets, and the one PR tool you need for 2016.
Well, here we are. The seventh day of Christmas.
Let’s talk about PR blogs, shall we?
(That puts Salt-n-Pepa in my head…let’s talk about sex, baby. Let’s talk about you and me. Let’s talk about all the good things and the bad things that may be. Let’s talk about sex. Let’s talk about sex. Let’s talk about sex. Let’s talk about sex. You’re welcome!)
Seven Must Read PR Blogs
I guess if you’re reading this on Spin Sucks, we can’t really include us. So let’s say these are the seven PR blogs you must add to your reading list plus Spin Sucks.
- Ishamel’s Corner. I’m a big, big fan of Lou Hoffman. Not only is he extraordinarily intelligent, he adds a voice to the PR blog community that is sorely needed: One of storytelling versus corporate speak. Don’t try to use jargon around Lou. He’ll beat you up! OK…maybe not beat you up, but you won’t use jargon again. I guarantee it. He publishes only once a week so this is a PR blog you can keep up with and read every post.
- Muck Rack Daily. I was first introduced to Muck Rack when Jessica Lawlor emailed me and said I would really like Greg Galant, the founder. So I met him for coffee in DC a little more than a year ago. And she was right? I DO like him! I also really love what he and his team are adding to the industry through their PR blog. Written for journalists, they send a daily email that has all of the news that might affect one’s job. It’s written very tongue-in-cheek and I love the style.
- PR Daily. It’s impossible to talk PR blogs without mentioning PR Daily. Though I consider them the biggest competition of Spin Sucks, I have lots of friends who work over there and we syndicate our content there. So when I say competitor, I really mean I want a whole team of writers and editors to focus on a bigger media outlet than just two blog posts a day. I’m envious, OK?! In all seriousness, PR Daily is a PR blog where you can pretty much get everything you need in one spot.
- PR Newser. PR Newser is the PR blog arm of AdWeek and I love them. I love their pop culture tie-ins. I love their trends and research. I love their tone. I love everything about them. Though they’re a relative new-comer to the PR blog world, they’re worth taking a look at to see if you’ll love them as much as I do.
- PRTini. Not only is Heather Whaling’s PR blog one to watch, she’s one to keep a careful eye on. The things she is doing for her business—and the PR industry—reminds me of me 10 years ago. She’s smart, she’s savvy, and she’s growing a real business with real clients that are having a real influence on this world. Pay close attention to her.
- Shift PR. I probably should say this upfront: I would read anything Christopher Penn writes. I mean, anything. Though he didn’t start out in PR—and the Shift blog certainly has more voices than his own—the value he adds to this PR blog is incredible. Want to learn how data and metrics add value to your communications? Read this blog. Absorb everything about it. And then read it again.
- Waxing Unlyrical. Shonali Burke is a PR blog staple. Heck, she’s a PR industry staple. (Plus she has an amazing accent so listen to everything she says.) Her blog, Waxing Unlyrical, talks mostly about PR measurement, which is a topic near and dear to my heart. She also brings in a nice cadre of guest bloggers and they’re not the typical voices. You won’t regret subscribing to this one.
And now it’s your turn! Which PR blogs do you recommend everyone add to their 2016 reading list?
P.S. I wanted to recommend Bad Pitch Blog, but it hasn’t been updated since February. So add them to your list…in case they start blogging again.