By Laura Petrolino
On the tenth day of Christmas, Spin Sucks gave to you…10 holiday movies, nine PR gifts, eight PR trends, seven PR blogs, six must-watch PR webinars, five PR books, four PR podcasts, three productivity tools, two Spin Sucks Crazy secrets, and the one PR tool you need for 2016.
Here is the thing about holiday movies, there are so many of them and the definition of what actually makes up a good one is extremely broad.
Which is part of what makes them special.
Everyone has their favorites, those movies they watch EVERY year. It’s part of the tradition which makes the holidays great!
In order to collect scientific research (I added that in just to drive Chel Wolverton crazy…heheheh), I went to Facebook Labs (i.e. my Facebook wall) and got quite the collection of answers.
Ten Favorite Holiday Movies
- A Christmas Story. Hello. This is Gini. I just took over the blog post and added this one in. Because, I’m sorry. You cannot have a list of favorite holiday movies and not include this. After all, how would any of us know we could shoot our eye out with a BB gun were it not for this movie? OK…back to Laura now.
- Charlie Brown Christmas. It’s a classic and, as a kid, it always would kick off the holiday season, along with Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman. A few years ago I found this, which also makes me smile.
- Christmas Vacation. Every time I see this movie I remember how amazing it is….in every way, and wonder why I don’t watch it more often.
- Elf. Honestly, I’m only going to say this once—if you don’t like Elf, we simply can’t be friends. So go pour some syrup over your scrooge-iness and come back when you find a sense of humor.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And almost everyone agreed, the animated version is the way to go (sorry Jim Carey).
- It’s a Wonderful Life. This actually didn’t get as many votes as I thought it would, but it’s one of my favorites, and I’m writing this post so—too bad. I’m a HUGE Jimmy Stewart fan (and have seen close to all of his movies). This is the movie where I fell in love with him originally. I’ve watched it every Christmas I can remember. and you just can’t help to be in the Christmas spirit at the end.
- Love Actually. Perhaps Huge Grant at his most charming. This one received way more votes than I would have thought. (Hi. Gini again. It received way more votes because it is one of the best movies ever. I mean, when the kid chases down his love before she leaves for America? Come on!)
- Meet Me in St. Louis. This one was a surprise, it’s a great movie, but I don’t normally think of it as a holiday one.
- Miracle on 34th Street. If you don’t believe in Santa after watching this movie then you can go over to the island of Scrooge where the people who don’t like Elf live.
- White Christmas. White Christmas makes me feel certain I was born in the wrong decade.
A Bonus Gift!
There were several holiday movies which received one or two votes and I thought it was worth including them here so you can check them out if you are looking for something new.
- The Ref
- Home for the Holidays
- The Holiday
- The Family Man
- The X-Files Christmas Edition
- A Christmas Carol
- The Best Man Holiday
- Mixed Nuts
- Frosty the Snowman
- Four Christmases
- PS I Love You
- The Family Stone
- Holiday James Bond-a-thons
- Bad Santa
- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- Jingle All The Way
- Lethal Weapon
Whew! There you have it. What are your favorite holiday movies? Any new ones to add to this list?